Friday, May 14, 2010

Review I. Initiative

In the reviews, I am going to brief the findings in the nine-month-long graduation project. This project is a collective project between TU Delft and JAM visual thinking (or JAM), a company based in the Netherlands. Beginning with the review of the initiatives, you will experience the fantastic journey I went through.

It started from an extraordinary experience in Venice, 2008.
In November 2009, I was in Venice visiting the biannual architecture exhibition. When I stepped into the Japanese pavilion, it seemed nothing inside but white, big, walls.


But when I walked closer to the walls, I was surprised by these pencil drawings which covered all over the walls. Especially when I realized they are not printed wall paper, the human strokes aroused me strong appreciation about the stories behind them.


They are light, quiet, and imperfect, but also strong, powerful and human. This was truly overwhelming for me to experience the power of sketches purely.


Two weeks later, I was back in the Netherlands and visited the company fair in the faculty of Industrial Design, TU Delft.


Among the majority of product-design companies, JAM visual thinking is a company sale no products but their drawings in a real business.


I was impressed and so curious about how JAM visual thinking turned the sketching into a serious business.


Then a question came to my mind, “What makes sketches so powerful to help people communicate?”. This question was actually the starting point of the graduation project.

No comments:

Post a Comment